harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [milestone] create freebsd x86_64 binaries?
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 13:10:55 GMT

In message <4C877E2D.80304@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 07/Sep/2010 09:31, Mark Hindess wrote:
> >
> > I've run tests on freebsd 8.0 x86 and x86_64 for the latest
> > milestone release and placed them at:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86/html/
> >   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86_64/html/
> >
> > The x86 results have lots of crashes but the x86_64 results don't
> > look too bad.  They suffer from the fact that freebsd really needs
> > to implement sockets using the dual ipv4/ipv6 mechanism that is used
> > by the windows implementation but I think it is actually pretty good
> > apart from that.
> >
> > I think it might be a good idea to create the x86_64 binaries with
> > this milestone.  What do others think?
>
> I'd be uncomfortable about putting them alongside the platforms which
> we have tested more thoroughly, and we know work well.

Judging by the evidence of the last few releases, the windows 64-bit
releases belong in the same category as freebsd as I am the only one
testing them too.

> Perhaps we can make a new area for 'previews' or some such idea...?

Doesn't "milestone" already imply "preview"?

I agree we need to set expectations appropriately but if we don't create
something then we'll never get interesting in addressing the problems.

Incidentally, it is only relatively recently that the ipv6/ipv4 dual
socket issue was resolved on the more typical java ports used on
freebsd so there is an understanding of this problem in the community
this artifact would be for.

Regards,
 Mark.