harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [build] fetch-depends having problems with the sourceforge mirror
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:53:49 GMT

In message <4C77985A.8090502@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 24/Aug/2010 16:46, Sian January wrote:
> >> Almost by definition it is unlikely that any one mirror will satisfy
> >> everyone.
> >>
> >> It should be possible to specify the chosen SourceForge mirror site used
> >> at build time by defining the ant property -Dsf.base= though looking at
> >> the depends.properties file I see not all URLs have been rewritten to
> >> use that base property yet.
> >>
> >> I didn't see anything obvious for how to dynamically find your best
> >> mirror for using SF.
> >
> > Looks like you can add ?use_mirror=autoselect to the end of the URL
> >
> > e.g. http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mx4j/mx4j-3.0.2.zip?use_mirror=autoselect
> >
> > Shall I update the build files to use this instead?
>
> Sounds good, but let's wait until after the milestone to avoid any
> unforeseen problems that may appear with more testing.

I don't think we should release source artifacts that have obviously
broken fetch-depends URLs.  It would be confusing and inconvenient for
those trying to use these artifacts.  More importantly, none of my
automated scripts for creating the linux/debian artifacts will work and
doing them manually would be more error-prone and would require much
more time than I have available at the moment.

I don't mind if we don't fix all of the urls to use the mirror
auto-selection but I do think we need to fix them to point at a working
mirror.

We already use dfn.dl.sourceforge.net for some downloads so I suggest
just doing search/replace of internap with dfn on the problematic URLs.
Please can I have permission to commit this change?

Regards,
-Mark.