harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Deven You <devyo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GC wonders
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:38:38 GMT
I think there is a concept of  root set of references which means  global
references like class static fields and references in current stack. If an
object is not referenced by any references in root set, GC think it is
unused and can be collected.

In your case, suppose there is another class C:

public class C {
public static A aInstance;
}
 aInstance is a global reference and thus in root set

If an application sets aInstance to point your A instance, when GC traverses
the object reference graph, it finds A instance referenced by aInstance, and
 B instance is referenced by A instance (so it is also indirectly referenced
by aInstance); then GC knows A instance and B instance both have at least
one reference from root set (aInstance). GC won't colloct A instance and B
instance. If now the application sets aInstance as null, the next time GC
runs, it will find there is no any reference in root set which points to A,
GC will know A instance and B instance are no longer  referenced by any
reference in root set. thus GC will recollected them.  Hope this will help
you.