harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][x-net] Creating a provider based on OpenSSL
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:08:36 GMT
  I've made a little progress with this in my local workspace, but I'd
like to get the work out into the community so everyone can see it. To
this end I've created a temporary branch [1] under which I will be
committing changes as I go. I figured this was the easiest thing so I
can reorganise things, break the build etc. without disturbing our main
tree.

So far I've got the following:
  - I'm passing some of the relevant certs/keys down to native code and
then into OpenSSL. I'm not 100% sure what I've done with this is right
so far, but it's work in progress!
  - OpenSSL is performing the SSL handshake and, at least for a simple
client-server case, is succeeding with the certs passed from Java.
  - I've modified the read/write methods on SSLSocketImpl to make calls
through natives into OpenSSL and they seem to be working. It's a little
bit hacked at the moment because I'm working from the starting point of
the JSSE implementation we already have, but the fact it works at least
verifies that the connection has been successfully made and OpenSSL has
been configured correctly.

I'll be committing these changes to the sandbox I've just created soon.
Please feel free to check out the tree and take a look/submit patches if
you like :) Things I still need to investigate are:
  - Is the method I've used to pass down certs to OpenSSL sufficient?
  - Reads from the socket are 1 byte at a time at the moment(!) - this
needs to be altered to use the OpenSSL calls more efficiently.
  - How do I tell OpenSSL to use the Java SecureRandom implementation
rather than its own random number generator? Via an OpenSSL ENGINE?
  - What's the best way to get/build the OpenSSL dependency?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Oliver

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/omd