harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [legal?] Any implication in using Harmony's print module in Android?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:03:44 GMT

In message <000301cb3f26$d0df18a0$729d49e0$@biz>, "Giampaolo Tomassoni"
writes:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I see Android misses any printing support at all, while it comes with
> full-fledged networking capabilities (dialup, wifi, bluetooth).
>
> This seems quite weird to me, even because porting there (and
> eventually adapting/extending) the javax.print API module from Harmony
> won't seem a too complex task to me.
>
> So, why nobody did yet do it?
>
> I posted a similar question in the "Android discuss" list, but nobody
> replied.

I'm reluctant to speculate when they chose not to answer for themselves.
However, if you look at the manifest for the print.jar you will find that
it imports:

 java.awt,
 java.awt.event,
 java.awt.font,
 java.awt.geom,
 java.awt.image,
 java.awt.image.renderable,
 java.awt.print,
 java.beans,
 java.io,
 java.lang,
 java.lang.annotation,
 java.lang.reflect,
 java.net,
 java.nio,
 java.security,
 java.text,
 java.util,
 javax.accessibility,
 javax.imageio,
 javax.swing,
 javax.swing.border,
 javax.swing.event,
 javax.swing.text,
 org.apache.harmony.awt.gl,
 org.apache.harmony.awt.gl.windows,
 org.apache.harmony.kernel.vm

I'm not familiar with the set of modules that are included in Android
but I am pretty sure some of these dependencies are not included.
Therefore your question becomes:

  why nobody did yet port the print module and enough of awt, swing,
  beans, etc. to make it work?

You are probably correct that porting the print module would be
relatively trivial (since for linux it is pure java) but the same is
likely not true of all the dependencies.

> Is there any licensing issue with this?

The license for the print module is the same as the others - ALv2.

> I'm quite new to the Android and Harmony world, so please forgive me
> if I'm missing something.

No problem.

Regards,
 Mark.