harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Giampaolo Tomassoni" <Giampa...@Tomassoni.biz>
Subject RE: GC wonders
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:55:08 GMT
> Hope this will help you.

It will, thank you. Now I can sleep better... ;)

I now understand why the GC is regarded as being "the beast" in JVM: this
reference graph traversal seems really time consuming, isn't? I always
imagined this process like somehow more "local". It instead is basically
walking every and each object reference to discover unreferenced objects,
right?

I suppose this also means some per-instance helping fields must be handled
in the internal representation of object instances. In example, I suppose
objects are in a list, with possibly next and previous instance pointers in
each list item, and possibly two further next and previous pointers to
construct a "list of deleteables", from which instances are removed every
time a reference points to them during tree traversal.

Regards,

Giampaolo