harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gong <daniel.gong.fu...@gmail.com>
Subject [GSoC] My Progress Update
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 05:43:51 GMT
Hi all,

Here is my progress update.

My planned timeline is as follows:

Week 1       Read and fully understand the JDB specification;
Week 2-3    Read and get familiar with the Eclipse JDI library;
Week 4-8    Coding and debugging for the implementaiton of JDB;
Week 9-11  Coding and debugging for the extensive enhancement;
Week 12     Complete the documentation work.

It's been more than 6 weeks since the community binding period ended and
coding period began. I've got more familiar with the Eclipse JDI library and
the usage of jdb, and made a initial design of the jdb implementation. My
follow-up task includes improving the design and "filling" each command one
by one.

Frankly speaking, my progress is a little behind the plan and I have to
admit that I underestimated the complexity of jdb. There's no detailed
documentation describing and specifying jdb behaviour and it cost me too
much time to run RI's jdb to determine every detailed jdb response to
certain user action. More, I have to understand these use cases and combine
them to produce a proper design scheme to organize jdb functions to make it
more maintainable and compatible with RI. I believe that once a proper
design scheme is done, "filling in" functionality of each command will be
much easier and I can improve its compatibility by extending it step by
step.

I don't know if it is possible to adjust my plan and target to make it
more realistic. I've discussed with Mark and his opinion is complete
compatibility is not required as long as my code has enough contribution to
the community. However, "enough contribution" is hard to define and I hope
everyone who has some suggestion can help me with it. I'll appreciate it
very much because this project is really challenging me.

Thanks.

Best wishes
Daniel Gong