harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][x-net] Creating a provider based on OpenSSL
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:32:00 GMT
  Hi Chris,

On 19/07/2010 21:08, chris.gray@k-embedded-java.com wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
>> I'm currently investigating the possibility of implementing a JSSE
>> provider wrapping OpenSSL.
> This would be a great idea, but don't underestimate he task. IIRC there is
> at least one abandoned project on SourceForge to do something similar. I
> also know of at least one proprietary (company-internal) project which
> does something of the sort, and there are probably many others - all
> implementing just as much of JSSE as the company in question needs, and no
> more.
>
> At first sight there seems to be little commonality between the two APIs,
> so actually implementing the whole of JSSE looks like a daunting task.

That is certainly the impression I am starting to get as I familiarise
myself with the two APIs.

> Don't let me put you off though!

I won't yet, but thanks for the warning. It's good to know of previous
attempts and that some have been, at least partially, successful. I'll
keep working on this - if I make any progress I'll copy the JSSE code we
have now into a new package and start making modifications there as I
go. Any help (from you, or anyone!) or more information on the subject
would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Oliver

--