harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew John Hughes <gnu_and...@member.fsf.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] linux (and freebsd) socket test failures
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:59:02 GMT
On 7 June 2010 10:48, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I recently started seeing quite a lot of socket test failures on my
> main Debian Linux machine.  It turns out that an upgrade of the netbase
> package included a new file:
>
>  /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf
>
> which sets the system configuration:
>
>  net.ipv6.bindv6only = 1
>
> which means that IPv6 bound sockets only accept IPv6 connections and not
> IPv4 connections (w/address mapping).  The expectation is that daemons
> wanting to accept both IPv6 and IPv4 connections bind twice.
>
> Then I had a Eureka! moment and remembered that I had some FreeBSD
> changes that I had not committed yet because I was still getting socket
> test failures when I had fixed everything that I thought was broken....
> and the pattern of failures was similar.  Changing the equivalent
> "net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0" seems to have fixed most of the remaining
> issues.  I'll tidy up these changes[0] and commit them shortly.
>
> For the time being I've changed this back on my machine (by editing the
> above file and replacing the 1 with 0).  However, I wonder if we should
> be handling this in the classlib implementation.  If we don't then users
> will experience a change in behaviour unless they change the system
> default but changing the system default may have unintended consequences
> for other applications.
>
> I believe it is possible to set the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option to avoid
> the change in behaviour but for the moment, it looks like the RI is not
> doing this so I guess we shouldn't either?

FYI, this problem has also been found with OpenJDK and patched
(at least, in the Debian package so far).

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2010-April/008866.html

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8