harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] HARMONY-6546: Make JARs available to Maven repository?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:00:28 GMT
On 09/06/2010, Andreas Sewe <sewe@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>

> > From your description it sounds like you are not so much interested in
> > the implementation details of the Harmony JAR files, but you are looking
> > for "compile against JARs" for a full Java SE API.  Is that right?
> >

>  right. Unfortunately, grabbing the JARs of a full Java SE API is a lot
> harder with tools like Maven than grabbing the JARs of a plain-old library.
> The Sun/Oracle puts a click-through license in your way, which obviously
> blocks automated build tools like Maven. And GNU Classpath is not even
> distributed in binary form. It's always ./configure; make first. :-(
>
>  The Apache Harmony distribution is much nicer in this respect. The only
> thing that causes grief, besides it being not available in, say, Maven
> central, is that you have dozens of JARs with no dependency information your
> build tool understands (unless in OSGi-land). And manually building that
> classpath "to compile against" is not fun. I've been there...

For Maven builds, one can easily define a profile which changes the
compiler for builds and/or tests.

One just needs to install the Harmony JDK or JRE; no messing with
Maven dependencies.

We use this in Apache Commons for building components that are
targetted at Java 1.3 and 1.4 whilst still being able to run a version
of Maven which requires 1.5+.