harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Lang Yang <yangl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [gsoc] imageio progress
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 04:55:05 GMT
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/Jun/2010 05:10, Lang Yang wrote:
> > Thanks!
> >
> > According to my original proposal [0], I am supposed to complete the
> > following items by the end of this week (week 3):
> > - spi.ServiceRegistry
> > - spi.IIOServiceProvider
> > - spi.ImageInputStreamSpi
> > - spi.ImageOutputStreamSpi
> > - spi.ImageWriterSpi
> > - spi.ImageReaderSpi
> >
> > Except few methods are still missing in spi.ServiceRegistry, everything
> > thing else has been resolved. Those missing methods are currently being
> > implemented, patches are expected to be submitted in next two days, stay
> > tuned!
>
> You seem to be making good progress!

Thanks, I have submitted another 3 patches today. There will be no
NotImplementedException markers in javax.imageio.spi package!

> > Since the GSoC official started on May 24th, there is a period that the
> code
> > is frozen. At that time, I didn’t write code because one of the patches
> need
> > be committed in order to move on. Instead, I had taken time looked deeper
> > into other part of codes and the build system to get a better idea of
> > Harmony and ImageIO package. Although it has blocked my progress for a
> bit,
> > but I believe it will boost my next moves.
>
> Spending some time to get familiar with the codebase is not a bad thing,
> and of course you can continue to send patches to JIRA during a release
> freeze.  If you find you are really blocked please ask for a temporary
> private branch which we can provide for you to make progress.

> Private branches are usually discouraged because we should all be
> testing and fixing the release candidate, but as a GSoC I appreciate you
> need to make progress on a given timetable.

I think get familiar code is actually good for me, I don't mind it at all.
The release freeze didn't block me for too long. Hopefully, I can join you
guys on fixing urgent bugs for release candidate at next code freeze ;)

> > In the next few weeks, I would like to implement other missing
> > functionalities in classes:
> > - stream.ImageOutputStreamImpl
> > - ImageTypeSpecifer
> > - ImageIO
> >
> > I think this is great idea that reports my progress to the community
> every
> > 1-2 weeks to let everyone knows what I have done, what needs to be done.
> If
> > nobody thinks this is spam, I will do so :)
>
> Not spam at all! It's great to hear about what you are doing.  Please
> share any joys and problems so we can all join in the fun with you.

Sure, I would definitely like to share joys and bother you guys with dumb
problem :-D