harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Wagner, Michael" <michael.wag...@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Subject RE: [general] Windows 7 support
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:12:55 GMT
Hello,

i support Antony's suggestion. Have had the same problem and to change
the code. I use apache harmony in 64bit under windows 7 running eclipse
64bit and it works fine so far?

Thanks,
  Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Miguel [mailto:aemiguel@gmail.com]
Sent: Montag, 28. Juni 2010 21:57
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: [general] Windows 7 support

Hi,

I apologise in advance if this is not the appropriate category, I'm not
sure
exactly where the issue would be here.

Today I downloaded the latest stable builds of Harmony (5.0 r946978 and
6.0
r946981) and ran them on Windows 7. In both cases I got:

"
Windows 6.1 is not supported
HMYEXEL062E Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM
FAILED to invoked JVM.
"

I searched around and all I could find was this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200711.mbox/%3Cc375
5b3a0711140205o566023as6c78a56407d81f0d@mail.gmail.com%3E

this was from 2007 and referred to Vista, the stable builds are from May
2010 and my issue is on Windows 7, however looking at the latest version
of
the bit of code the above bug mentions (vm_init.cpp) it seems it is
perhaps
just erroring because windows 7 isn't specifically listed as a supported
platform...

if((osvi.dwMajorVersion == 4 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 0) ||  // NT 4.0
       (osvi.dwMajorVersion == 5 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 0) ||  //
Windows 2000
       (osvi.dwMajorVersion == 5 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 1) ||  //
Windows XP
       (osvi.dwMajorVersion == 5 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 2) ||  //
Windows.NET
       (osvi.dwMajorVersion == 6 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 0)) {  //
Windows Vista
            return JNI_OK;
    }
    printf("Windows %d.%d is not supported\n", osvi.dwMajorVersion,
osvi.dwMinorVersion);
    return JNI_ERR;

It seems this error is occurring just because the above code tries to
detect
specific versions rather than minimum versions (as was suggested in the
post
back in 2007), having said that Windows 7 has been out for almost 12
months... has it been left out specifically because there are issues on
Windows 7 which mean Harmony doesn't work on it?

If not then wouldn't it be a good idea to change the above code to let
the
JVM run and *try* to work on versions later than those specifically
listed
(given that I would imagine the vast majority of JVM features will work
on
subsequent Windows versions)? or at least allow the user to specify a
command line switch to not just exit?  As it stands, it seems that if
someone tries to use Harmony on an updated version of windows that
hasn't
been specifically hard coded into the above list it will just fail
whether
it needs to or not?

Thanks

Antony