harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [gsoc] imageio progress
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:30:48 GMT
On 12/Jun/2010 05:10, Lang Yang wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> According to my original proposal [0], I am supposed to complete the
> following items by the end of this week (week 3):
> - spi.ServiceRegistry
> - spi.IIOServiceProvider
> - spi.ImageInputStreamSpi
> - spi.ImageOutputStreamSpi
> - spi.ImageWriterSpi
> - spi.ImageReaderSpi
>
> Except few methods are still missing in spi.ServiceRegistry, everything
> thing else has been resolved. Those missing methods are currently being
> implemented, patches are expected to be submitted in next two days, stay
> tuned!

You seem to be making good progress!

> Since the GSoC official started on May 24th, there is a period that the code
> is frozen. At that time, I didn’t write code because one of the patches need
> be committed in order to move on. Instead, I had taken time looked deeper
> into other part of codes and the build system to get a better idea of
> Harmony and ImageIO package. Although it has blocked my progress for a bit,
> but I believe it will boost my next moves.

Spending some time to get familiar with the codebase is not a bad thing,
and of course you can continue to send patches to JIRA during a release
freeze.  If you find you are really blocked please ask for a temporary
private branch which we can provide for you to make progress.

Private branches are usually discouraged because we should all be
testing and fixing the release candidate, but as a GSoC I appreciate you
need to make progress on a given timetable.

> In the next few weeks, I would like to implement other missing
> functionalities in classes:
> - stream.ImageOutputStreamImpl
> - ImageTypeSpecifer
> - ImageIO
>
> I think this is great idea that reports my progress to the community every
> 1-2 weeks to let everyone knows what I have done, what needs to be done. If
> nobody thinks this is spam, I will do so :)

Not spam at all! It's great to hear about what you are doing.  Please
share any joys and problems so we can all join in the fun with you.

I'm committing some of your patches, and it is good to see they are
small and well contained, so easy to review.  Keep it up.

Regards,
Tim