harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Sewe <s...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: [classlib] HARMONY-6546: Make JARs available to Maven repository?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:39:54 GMT
Hi Tim,

> From your description it sounds like you are not so much interested in
> the implementation details of the Harmony JAR files, but you are looking
> for "compile against JARs" for a full Java SE API.  Is that right?

right. Unfortunately, grabbing the JARs of a full Java SE API is a lot
harder with tools like Maven than grabbing the JARs of a plain-old
library. The Sun/Oracle puts a click-through license in your way, which
obviously blocks automated build tools like Maven. And GNU Classpath is
not even distributed in binary form. It's always ./configure; make
first. :-(

The Apache Harmony distribution is much nicer in this respect. The only
thing that causes grief, besides it being not available in, say, Maven
central, is that you have dozens of JARs with no dependency information
your build tool understands (unless in OSGi-land). And manually building
that classpath "to compile against" is not fun. I've been there...

I hope this clarifies things.

Andreas Sewe