harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Windows 7 support
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:55:30 GMT

In message <AANLkTinqSTlj8bzB0vztyR9-zBavrvqmfE08fH4tO3lK@mail.gmail.com>,
Antony Miguel writes:

> Any idea where or when I can get a snapshot build of this updated code
> (either a stable build or just a head build)?  I don't have the
> capacity to build Harmony at the moment...

32-bit or 64-bit?  I'll try to build one tomorrow.

> Also just to check - have you added 6.1 as a supported platform or
> changed to code to run with anything of Windows version 6.1 or above?
> I ask simply because if anyone builds a product which distributes a
> Harmony JVM they will find that they have to again notify
> dev@harmony.apache.org of this, then rebuild and re-release their
> product just to support new windows platforms which they might
> otherwise work fine with...?

At the moment, I've added it to the version list.  I'd like to hear back
if there are any test failures on Windows 7 before deciding what to do
about the platform checking.  Logically however one would hope that
windows maintains reasonable backwards compatibility so doing a greater
than version check would seem reasonable.

Regards,
 Mark.

> On 28 June 2010 21:34, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In message <AANLkTimRQnFTVsY0M6hRR3uuqiZZ8hf-Il_flvCBa_h5@mail.gmail.com>,
> > Antony Miguel writes:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I apologise in advance if this is not the appropriate category, I'm
> >> not sure exactly where the issue would be here.
> >>
> >> Today I downloaded the latest stable builds of Harmony (5.0 r946978
> >> and 6.0 r946981) and ran them on Windows 7. In both cases I got:
> >>
> >> "
> >> Windows 6.1 is not supported
> >> HMYEXEL062E Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM
> >> FAILED to invoked JVM.
> >> "

[snip]