harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] linux (and freebsd) socket test failures
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:19:02 GMT

In message <AANLkTinkw2R2rCO4v5Ycnn7Tvr54noY99e01Fr2Cjmh2@mail.gmail.com>,
Andrew John Hughes writes:

> On 7 June 2010 10:48, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently started seeing quite a lot of socket test failures on
> > my main Debian Linux machine.  It turns out that an upgrade of the
> > netbase package included a new file:
> >
> >   /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf
> >
> > which sets the system configuration:
> >
> >   net.ipv6.bindv6only = 1
> >
> > which means that IPv6 bound sockets only accept IPv6 connections and
> > not IPv4 connections (w/address mapping).  The expectation is that
> > daemons wanting to accept both IPv6 and IPv4 connections bind twice.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > For the time being I've changed this back on my machine (by editing
> > the above file and replacing the 1 with 0).  However, I wonder if
> > we should be handling this in the classlib implementation.  If we
> > don't then users will experience a change in behaviour unless they
> > change the system default but changing the system default may have
> > unintended consequences for other applications.
> >
> > I believe it is possible to set the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option to
> > avoid the change in behaviour but for the moment, it looks like the
> > RI is not doing this so I guess we shouldn't either?
>
> FYI, this problem has also been found with OpenJDK and patched (at
> least, in the Debian package so far).
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2010-April/008866.html

Andrew: Thanks.  (Sadly,) I avoid the openjdk community to avoid
contamination but it is very helpful to know what decision they made.
Much appreciated.

I am not surprised.  It does seem like the right thing to do (from a
principle of least surprise point-of-view).

Perhaps we should fix it and potentially deviate from the RI behaviour
(until they fix it assuming they will).  I wouldn't be surprised if the
RI ended up with another java.net.prefer* option to allow the users the
choice.

Regards,
 Mark.