harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Wilson <jessewil...@google.com>
Subject Dalvik's Javadoc
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 23:23:14 GMT
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Joshua Bloch <jjb@google.com> wrote:

> I was a bit surprised to see efforts being made to improve Android docs.
>  The previous common wisdom had been "ignore them; everyone with any sense
> will read JDK JavaDocs instead."

The new goal of our team is, "write better docs than the originals". This is
ambitious and will take a long, long time. But there are already a few
places where we've beaten the JDK. Embedded reference-guide docs like
Formatter<https://android-git.corp.google.com/w/?p=platform/libcore.git;a=blob;f=luni/src/main/java/java/util/Formatter.java;h=7000581739dfae57f089036739b51f7acf8f7eea;hb=dalvik-dev>and
Pattern<https://android-git.corp.google.com/w/?p=platform/libcore.git;a=blob;f=luni/src/main/java/java/util/regex/Pattern.java;h=7733b729241d315d60878a3518822d95f6908de1;hb=dalvik-dev>are
now better organized and more task-oriented than the Sun docs. Bogus
APIs like InflaterInputStream.available()<https://android-git.corp.google.com/w/?p=platform/libcore.git;a=blob;f=luni/src/main/java/java/util/zip/InflaterInputStream.java;h=2243e77b5547bb401f895f4e727b8028e331a68a;hb=dalvik-dev>document
why they're broken rather than sweeping their problems under the
rug.

We have a slight advantage over Oracle on writing these docs because we're
not afraid to point out mistakes.