harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 06:10:09 GMT
2010/5/25 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>

> On 25/May/2010 08:34, Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
> >       We are very close to publish Harmony5 M14 and Harmony6 M2, what
> great
> > achievements since we created Harmony project!
>
> +1 !
>
> >       Now we may think about something different, satisfy more
> requirements.
> > Different application requirement need different JRE - it may differ very
> > much in class-lib modules, providers, and VMs.  Harmony select, say, a
> > smaller, more flexible harmony runtime, may be a good candidate in such
> > environments. We may not follow Oracle/Sun exactly in this runtime, allow
> > more innovations, different modules selections,  and different
> > functionalities to meet different requirements. We may also call for more
> > input from real Java applications, developers, especially hot open-source
> > projects who are the potential customers of Harmony.
>
> We have discussed this on and off a few times over a period of time.  I
> think the definition of which modules go into the Select runtime should
> still be flexible as we discover what applications really use, and while
> I agree that we can be innovative I also think we need to maintain the
> precise API behavior of the SE builds so that Select is useful to
> regular Java programmers.

Agree indeed - Harmony Select should be flexible to the real requirements.

> >       We've already created an initial target in Harmony to build a
> Select
> > binary. We remove some client-side related modules (like AWT, swing etc)
> > reduce the size while keep the main functionality for server side
> > applications. This is a startup, very far from the finial versions.
> However
> > I believe we can start some milestones with defined criterion like
> standard
> > Harmony.
>
> I've not been building regularly with the Select shape.  I'd like to
> have a run through to see how it looks.
>
> So I just need to use the regular source tree and build with
> "ant -Dhy.select=true"
>
> right?

Yes. And the current select build is very simple, still wondering if we can
have a better solution for "flexible" builds.

> >       For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd have
> > following criterion:
> > 1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;
> > 2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on these
> > platforms;
> > 3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its common test
> on
> > these platforms for the first milestone.
> >
> >       Wait for any kindly suggestions, opinions and comments.
>
> Maybe just semantics, but it is possibly too early to declare a
> milestone.  How about we publish some snapshots of Harmony Select on
> it's own webpage (describing what it is) so people can try it.  Once we
> get into a position where it is useful for 1,2,3 above we can declare
> milestones?

I haven't consider that, great suggestion, thanks Tim! Yes we can make some
snapshots (may publish if we have done the pre-work for unit testcases)
available, and see how applications works on it. Will do.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv