harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 05:52:55 GMT
Hi,

2010/5/25 Jim Yu <junjie0122@gmail.com>

> 2010/5/25 Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> >      We are very close to publish Harmony5 M14 and Harmony6 M2, what
> great
> > achievements since we created Harmony project!
> >
> >      Now we may think about something different, satisfy more
> requirements.
> > Different application requirement need different JRE - it may differ very
> > much in class-lib modules, providers, and VMs.  Harmony select, say, a
> > smaller, more flexible harmony runtime, may be a good candidate in such
> > environments. We may not follow Oracle/Sun exactly in this runtime, allow
> > more innovations, different modules selections,  and different
> > functionalities to meet different requirements. We may also call for more
> > input from real Java applications, developers, especially hot open-source
> > projects who are the potential customers of Harmony.
> >
> >      We've already created an initial target in Harmony to build a Select
> > binary. We remove some client-side related modules (like AWT, swing etc)
> > reduce the size while keep the main functionality for server side
> > applications. This is a startup, very far from the finial versions.
> However
> > I believe we can start some milestones with defined criterion like
> standard
> > Harmony.
> >
> >      For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd have
> > following criterion:
> > 1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;
>
> 2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on these
> > platforms;
>

> I agree we should pass them. But I suspect some of our tests will rely on
> the
> modules that are not in the scope of Harmony Select. I remember some tests
> of beans module will call awt classes...

Agreed, depart these testcases should be a pre-work for running testcases.

> 3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its common test on
> > these platforms for the first milestone.
> >

> Do you mean the startup tests for Hadoop Common? So far as I know, Hadoop
> Common
> can startup with one of three modes(standalone, pseudo-distributed and full
> distributed).
>  In full distributed mode, we can involve many machines with different
> platforms. So even
> if Harmony Select can work well to support this mode with two machines, we
> can't ensure
> it can work well to support dozens of machines.
>
> I agree that Hadoop is a good server application for Harmony Select testing
> and we can
> try with it to see its capability. But seems it is not so easy to define
> our
> milestone criteria
>  based on it ;-)

Yes I understand. We can refine the definition, e.g, pass 2 modes first as
the  target of milestone one. I suggest we still keep the criteria on real
application so that to prove Harmony Select is a workable runtime ;)

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv