harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Yu <junjie0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 08:13:02 GMT
2010/5/25 Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>

> Hi Everyone,
>
>      We are very close to publish Harmony5 M14 and Harmony6 M2, what great
> achievements since we created Harmony project!
>
>      Now we may think about something different, satisfy more requirements.
> Different application requirement need different JRE - it may differ very
> much in class-lib modules, providers, and VMs.  Harmony select, say, a
> smaller, more flexible harmony runtime, may be a good candidate in such
> environments. We may not follow Oracle/Sun exactly in this runtime, allow
> more innovations, different modules selections,  and different
> functionalities to meet different requirements. We may also call for more
> input from real Java applications, developers, especially hot open-source
> projects who are the potential customers of Harmony.
>
>      We've already created an initial target in Harmony to build a Select
> binary. We remove some client-side related modules (like AWT, swing etc) to
> reduce the size while keep the main functionality for server side
> applications. This is a startup, very far from the finial versions. However
> I believe we can start some milestones with defined criterion like standard
> Harmony.
>
>      For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd have
> following criterion:
> 1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;

2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on these
> platforms;

I agree we should pass them. But I suspect some of our tests will rely on
the
modules that are not in the scope of Harmony Select. I remember some tests
of beans module will call awt classes...

3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its common test on
> these platforms for the first milestone.

Do you mean the startup tests for Hadoop Common? So far as I know, Hadoop
Common
can startup with one of three modes(standalone, pseudo-distributed and full
distributed).
 In full distributed mode, we can involve many machines with different
platforms. So even
if Harmony Select can work well to support this mode with two machines, we
can't ensure
it can work well to support dozens of machines.

I agree that Hadoop is a good server application for Harmony Select testing
and we can
try with it to see its capability. But seems it is not so easy to define our
milestone criteria
 based on it ;-)

--
Best Regards,