harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 06:17:54 GMT
2010/5/25 sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>

> On 25/05/2010, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> >       We are very close to publish Harmony5 M14 and Harmony6 M2, what
> great
> >  achievements since we created Harmony project!
> >
> >       Now we may think about something different, satisfy more
> requirements.
> >  Different application requirement need different JRE - it may differ
> very
> >  much in class-lib modules, providers, and VMs.  Harmony select, say, a
> >  smaller, more flexible harmony runtime, may be a good candidate in such
> >  environments. We may not follow Oracle/Sun exactly in this runtime,
> allow
> >  more innovations, different modules selections,  and different
> >  functionalities to meet different requirements. We may also call for
> more
> >  input from real Java applications, developers, especially hot
> open-source
> >  projects who are the potential customers of Harmony.
> >
> >       We've already created an initial target in Harmony to build a
> Select
> >  binary. We remove some client-side related modules (like AWT, swing etc)
> >  reduce the size while keep the main functionality for server side
> >  applications. This is a startup, very far from the finial versions.
> However
> >  I believe we can start some milestones with defined criterion like
> standard
> >  Harmony.
> >
> >       For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd have
> >  following criterion:
> >  1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;
> >  2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on these
> >  platforms;
> >  3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its common test
> on
> >  these platforms for the first milestone.
> >
> >       Wait for any kindly suggestions, opinions and comments.
>
> May suggest using some of the Commons components as test cases?
>
> For example, Commons Lang, Math, IO, Net?
>
> I know that Math has exposed bugs in Harmony in the past.
>
> These are relatively small codebases, so it should be a lot easier to
> debug any failures.

Hi,

     That's good suggestions, let's discuss the modules selection openly
according to the application requirements.
     A silly question, as I haven't touched Commons yet, what is the
advantage in Commons Lang, Math, IO/Net than J2SE components?

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM