harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 07:34:29 GMT
Hi Everyone,

      We are very close to publish Harmony5 M14 and Harmony6 M2, what great
achievements since we created Harmony project!

      Now we may think about something different, satisfy more requirements.
Different application requirement need different JRE - it may differ very
much in class-lib modules, providers, and VMs.  Harmony select, say, a
smaller, more flexible harmony runtime, may be a good candidate in such
environments. We may not follow Oracle/Sun exactly in this runtime, allow
more innovations, different modules selections,  and different
functionalities to meet different requirements. We may also call for more
input from real Java applications, developers, especially hot open-source
projects who are the potential customers of Harmony.

      We've already created an initial target in Harmony to build a Select
binary. We remove some client-side related modules (like AWT, swing etc) to
reduce the size while keep the main functionality for server side
applications. This is a startup, very far from the finial versions. However
I believe we can start some milestones with defined criterion like standard
Harmony.

      For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd have
following criterion:
1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;
2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on these
platforms;
3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its common test on
these platforms for the first milestone.

      Wait for any kindly suggestions, opinions and comments.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv