harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 23:17:21 GMT

In message <201005271258.o4RCwKD7006066@d06av02.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
Mark Hindess writes:

> In message <201005271025.o4RAPPBb016255@d06av03.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
> Mark Hindess writes:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > However, the federated build for -Dhy.select=true currently fails
> > because, for example, the "serialver -show" implementation requires
> > some modules that aren't included in select.
> >
> > I think we should consider how/what we want to subset from the jdktools
> > component?  I think we need at least jdwp.  Some of the tools - jar
> > for example - are thin wrappers around implementations that are in
> > the select scope so I think it makes sense to include them too.
> >
> > What do other people think?
> >
> > While discussion continues, I intend to create a first approximation
> > using the subset of all of jdktools that builds as I'd like to get
> > select builds working on Apache Hudson.
>
> I think I've fixed things so that the federated build should complete
> with -Dhy.select=true now.  I'll look at setting up Hudson builds
> shortly.
>
> Something else we should do before we make milestone releases is
> change the "java -version" output to make it obvious that select
> is being used.

I've created a select build on hudson (java5 only at the moment):

  http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Harmony/job/Harmony-select-1.5-head-linux-x86_64/

The resulting artefacts are ~18% smaller.  It occurs to me that if we
move the font dependency handling to the awt module then we'd reduce the
jre size by almost another 4% from the non-select size.

Regards,
 Mark.