harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: test excludes
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 14:12:34 GMT

In message <AANLkTikEMRMbIYQVA2FnpKr4VCvAW7AF6LWmIG8Ns8S7@mail.gmail.com>,
Nathan Beyer writes:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Mark Hindess
> <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Last night I decided to try to implement this simple exclude list
> > mechanism in my build-improvement branch.  I've checked in my changes at
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/mrh@948377
>
> I don't want to be rude,

Not at all; I don't think you've ever been rude on this list.

> but ... I brought this up a few months back and the response I got was
> less than overwhelming. I stopped my work.
> How is this different?
>
> http://harmony.markmail.org/message/4rhomwqjdr5uklln?q=junit+annotation

I think the response you got was fairly positive.  The only issue
appears to be a request from Jesse for some way to externally influence
the test selection process which I don't think was tackled.

How far did you get?  I'd be interested in playing with the annotations
if you've written them.  I'm not convinced annotations are enough but
they probably will be part of the right longer term solution.

I don't see what I have done as a long term solution - and tried to make
it clear that I didn't.  My motivation has been documented elsewhere in
this thread - particularly, in my reply to Tim's equally blunt
response! ;-)  I also don't see how what I have proposed doing in the
short term ... in particular ...

> > [snip]
> >
> > I'm tempted to do away with the isExcluded() checks/lists are replace
> > them with more readable:
> >
> >   if (Support_Excludes.isRI()) {
> >
> > or:
> >
> >   if (Support_Excludes.isLinux() && Support_Excludes.is64bit()) {
> >
> > etc.  To make the Excludes more self-contained but that requires
> > looking at the excluded tests in more detail to understand the
> > requirements better and as I said I wanted to make this a simple
> > step from what we had today.

... prevents doing something better when a solution is decided upon.
In fact, if the tests are modified like this it will make writing the
correct annotations a lot quicker.

> > I'd like to merge this to trunk/java6 after the code freeze but I'd
> > like some feedback first.  I don't necessarily see this as a final
> > solution but I just wanted to do something since this topic has been
> > discussed for far to long and I wanted something that we could move
> > to from where we are today without to much effort.  On the other
> > hand, I'm not convinced that annotations are a good solution either
> > since they don't give you fine-grained control so every distinction
> > has to be represented by a separate method.

In my response to Sebb, I mentioned a specific example of a single
assert which fails on the RI.  I'd like to think that we can find a
better solution to this example than duplicating the method.

In short, when you have some annotations I can use then I will certainly
use them to mark up the tests.  But I am impatient to get more tests
running right now so I would like to continue to do something about that
in the meantime.

I've not done the merge from my branch anyway since it turns out I can
get more tests running just by re-testing and un-excluding whole test so
I am concentrating on that first.  By the time I've done that perhaps
your annotations will be ready and I can use those in trunk instead?

Regards,
 Mark.