harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 10:07:17 GMT

In message <AANLkTinstzWtSOMQjj8PARb422ki2GCscYea1lHQG_Ff@mail.gmail.com>,
Ray Chen writes:

> Hi Jimmy,
> How about we give different snapshots for different famous application
> like HarmonySelect-Tomcat-snapshot, HarmonySelect-Hadoop-sanpshot...
> When a application is fully tested, we can make a special jre for it.
> Any comments?

This would be too hard to sustain for lots of reasons.  For instance,
at the moment we are barely getting enough PMC members voting on our
milestone releases to actually make releases.  I'd not vote +1 on a
release of apache-harmony-select-for-hadoop-... unless I'd actually
built tested and installed it with hadoop, ditto for tomcat, etc.  I
don't have time to do that - I doubt anyone has - for every application
you might want a select build for.  So I seriously doubt you'd ever
get these releases out the door at Apache.

So we make a more general apache-harmony-select-... release that tries
to be a just-big-enough-subset-to-be-useful.  My test criteria for
voting +1 will be more general to and I'd only have one release to test.

If we make apache-harmony-select attractive enough then perhaps the
Hadoop, Tomcat, etc projects would make the bundles (if they feel
that their users would appreciate it).

Regards,
 Mark.

> 2010/5/27 Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>:
> > Hi Alexei,
> >
> > =9A =9A That is very kind of you to remind the risk of this proposal, rea=
> lly
> > appreciate!
> > =9A =9A Yes we'd learn a lot from Alexey Petrenko's great work. Why a
> > successful combination with harmony don't catch customers' eyes? Was its
> > footprint a bit large? Or it performance cannot compete with other JREs? =
> Was
> > it too unstable to use? =9AOr just we don't continue to support? All thes=
> > questions we may find solutions. For an example, we may publish a new
> > customized jre/combination in every milestone to show our continuous supp=
> ort
> > to these applications - these may take a little time to run testcases bef=
> ore
> > every release, no big effort .
> > =9A =9A Our ultimate goals is to attract customers to our Harmony project=
> , so
> > work with some real and hot applications may be a good way - to make =9Aa
> > "select" jre for different requirements. Currently, many java projects, l=
> ike
> > Hadoop etc, use Oracle/Sun's jre as the default choice ( which is stated =
> in
> > their document). Different from Alexey Petrenko's previous select, we'd
> > think about a more flexible, =9Adifferent way, even go a little far beyon=
> > spec if that should meet more requirements - we are very free in this
> > harmony-select. I imagine one day, Hadoop, tomcat and other projects will
> > announce Harmony/Harmony-Select as its default JRE, which will be smaller=
> ,
> > faster and more stable for the specific program.
> >
> > =9A =9A Thank you very much Alexei, that is a warm help to me and this
> > proposal. Now can understand this is really not an easy way and may cost
> > more than I think. But I believe we'd keep going with Harmony - see how f=
> ar
> > we can explore :)
> >
> > 2010/5/26 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>
> >
> >> I saw how Jimmy's idea appeared among GSoC tasks last year.
> >> Persistence is an important component of success, and Jimmy has shown
> >> enough. Why should anyone want to stop him from trying?
> >>
> >> The whole point of public discussion is to collect different opinions
> >> and get in touch with public experience. "If I have seen a little
> >> further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." I just want
> >> Jimmy to consider Alexey Petrenko's shoulders.

Tomcat an=
> >> and
> >> early
> >> at