harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Harmony Select Milestone One
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 10:20:20 GMT

In message <AANLkTiklMus8j_QIXdJbsxzWZ9cYj9SDTuOFMdqB6GV6@mail.gmail.com>,
"Jimmy,Jing Lv" writes:
> 2010/5/25 sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
> > On 25/05/2010, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > >       For the first milestone of Harmony-Select, I suggest we'd
> > >  have following criterion:
> > >  1. build pass on both windows/linux platforms;
> > >  2. pass all Harmony unit testcases in the selected module on
> > >  these platforms;
> > >  3. Choose Apache Hadoop as a real Application test, pass its
> > >  common test on these platforms for the first milestone.
> > >
> > >       Wait for any kindly suggestions, opinions and comments.
> >
> > May suggest using some of the Commons components as test cases?
> >
> > For example, Commons Lang, Math, IO, Net?
> >
> > I know that Math has exposed bugs in Harmony in the past.

Indeed.  I found the commons-collections tests to be particularly
helpful and httpclient tests exposed a regex bug just last week when I
tried the recent release on our milestone candidates.

> > These are relatively small codebases, so it should be a lot easier to
> > debug any failures.
> Hi,
>      That's good suggestions, let's discuss the modules selection openly
> according to the application requirements.
>      A silly question, as I haven't touched Commons yet, what is the
> advantage in Commons Lang, Math, IO/Net than J2SE components?

As Tim says, I think Sebb was suggesting looking at the building blocks
of major projects and running their tests as a way to reach your goal
of running real applications.

For instance, looking at:

I see that hadoop has pre-reqs for various use cases on[0]:

Rather than jumping straight to hadoop testing, it would be sensible to
try the tests from the pre-req projects first[1].  Problems found with
these tests would likely be easier to track down and fix than problems
in a large application.

[0] I've probably missed some of the Apache projects and no doubt some of
    the non-apache projects have great tests too.

[1] Of course, if your goal is just Hadoop you'll undoubtedly find/fix
    bugs that are out-of-scope for Hadoop successfully running but I don't
    think running Hadoop is our only goal for Select.

View raw message