harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Open Source Jumpstart London 2010
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:12:24 GMT
Mark, thank you for very detailed answer.

Apache application fails to find a mentor. We have four GSoC mentors
in Moscow, and free software school project makes a strong community.
We cannot replicate Zoe of course, but want to take chances anyway.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/ http://klsh.ru/

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In message <w2qc30d70961004202307ybd6c9226q144c67645196ffb0@mail.gmail.com>,
> Alexei Fedotov writes:
>> Mark,
>> I see IBM, Morgan Stanley and Deutsche Bank participated in the event.
>> Do you know any reference explaining more about event organization,
>> e.g. who may sponsor event like this in Moscow?
> I was one of the organisers.  It was really just organised by
> individuals that happened to work for those companies[0] rather than
> by "companies" as such.  At the London Java Unconference last year,
> there was a session to discuss the question "what can graduates do to
> distinguish themselves from their peers?"[1] posed by Barry Clearview, a
> recruiter who runs a Graduate Developer Community.
> This event was part of the answer.
> You really need to find some committed individuals to organise it.  We
> were fortunate to find several of these at the London Java Unconference
> and via other contacts in the London Java Community (also run by Barry).
> What you really need to replicate the event is a Zoe Slattery!  She
> persuaded IBM to let us have the venue andpay for lunch, and did a huge
> amount of organising everything else (including the other organisers).
> Are there any user groups or similar you could work with in Moscow?  You
> could also see if there are any "local" mentors registered in the Apache
> Community Development "find a mentor" app[2]?
> You also need to invite graduates.  Obviously, Barry invited members
> of the Graduate Development Community that he organises.  If there
> is no equivalent community, you could probably just contact regional
> universities directly.
> Regards,
>  Mark.
> [0] Although IBM provided the venue and the IBM Innovation Centre
>    provided sponsorship to cover other costs.
> [1] The question was something like that, I don't really recall exactly.
> [2] http://community.zones.apache.org/

View raw message