harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Meng Li <jowett....@gmail.com>
Subject [GSoC] Proposal for HARMONY-6453
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:26:28 GMT
Hello Everyone,

My name is Meng Li. I'm a student of Zhejiang University and I'm eager
to participate gsoc 2010 and looking forward
to working in Harmony.

I've submit my proposal to the gsoc project website. For your
convenience, I'd like to post it here and discuss it with you.

*Student Name*

Meng Li

*Student E-mail*

jowett.lee@gmail.com

*Organization/Project*

Apache Harmony

*Assigned Mentor*

Jing Lv, Nisen

*Proposal Abstract*

As we see the Harmony Project has a infrastructure but has no data, we
need them to meet customer requirement. A tool automatic setup i18n
mechanism for open source project will do a lot benefit to all
lightweight projects to their custimers.

*Detailed Description*

The project is plan to make up an automatic tool that helps project to
automatically extract the messages in source code, analysis if
necessary to localized, then translate and adjust, and at last inject
into the source code and apply the localization.

The tool focus on Java Projects, using java ResourceBundle or property

The tool can be depart into 3 small tools/sequences:

       1. String extractor and analyzer

       In this step, the tool shall look for all strings in the
project. Note not all Strings can be localized or it's not necessary.
We have to detect, maybe with user's hint (by argument/profile) or
user's decision (decide the necessary files)

       2. the translator

       We don't focus on the translator as there's so many translators
and tools, however we may look for a mechanism to automatically
translate and adjust for the open source project, so we may offer
choice for customers for the style. We are not going to find a 100%
correct translation.

       3. the injector

       This part will apply a formalized i18n mechanism into the
source code, using ResourceBundle or property loading, this also help
the customer to fix the translation easily.

*Draft Timeline*

   - Week 1-2   Read and understand the Harmony i18n related tools;

   - Week 3-4   Implement String extractor and analyzer;

   - Week 5-6   Implement the translator

   - Week 7-8   Implement the injector

   - Week 9-10  Fix all bugs left and complete the documentian work.

*Available Time*

   - Generally, I have 20~25 hours per week in average guaranteed
working on the subject.

   - I'm a 2nd year graduate student and do not have any classes or
exams to attend, which allow me to have enough time to complete the
project.

*Additional Information*

I’m a master candidate of Zhejiang University, China.

I have very solid Java programming skill and Eclipse plugin
development experience.

I am also a open source community contributor right now. Please visit
http://github.com/gwhalin/Memcached-Java-Client/tree/performance, I am
a administrator of this open source project, which is the most popular
memcached Java client around the world.