harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gong <daniel.gong.fu...@gmail.com>
Subject [GSoC] Proposal for HARMONY-6442
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 02:33:41 GMT
Hi all,

    Since I've just learned things about JDPA and became interested in it, I
want to apply for the JDB implementation project too:)

    I'm sure I can complete the basic implementation part well. However,
honestly speaking, I do not have too much thoughts in the extensive feature
part. I need to discuss with Mark and then maybe I can understand the
project better and generate more ideas.

    Here is the proposal. I think there is not too much to mention about the
basic implementation part because the specification is given and I have to
follow it. So currently the proposal may seem simple.

*Student Name:*

Linghui Gong

*Student E-mail: *

daniel.gong.fudan@gmail.com

*Student Major:*

Computer Science

*Student Degree:*

Studying for Master of Science Degree, 2nd year

*Student Graduation:*

Summer, 2011

*Organization/Project:*

Harmony Project, The Apache Software Foundation

*Assigned Mentor:*

Mark Hindess

*Proposal Abstract:*

Implement the JDB command line debugger tool in Java using the Eclipse JDI
library and extend it with other features that add value to the Harmony JDB
implementation.

*Detailed Description:*

Implement the JDB command line debugger tool in Java using the Eclipse JDI
library. The implementation should be compatible with the Sun JDB command
line tool but it could be extended with other features - such as tab
completion of commands, JSR45 (stratum support), etc. - to add value to the
Harmony implementation.

For the basic implementation part, I have full confidence to complete it to
meet the specification and make it compatible with the Sun JDB. For the
extensive feature part, currently I have no more ideas and I have to discuss
with the assigned mentor.

*Additional Information:*

I've been learning and using Java since 4 years ago. In the past I've
complete several projects based on java, including a mini library management
system, a text stream clustering system, a search engine project based on
Apache Lucene. I've got rich experience of Java language, programming and
debugging from them.

Last year I've participated in Google Summer of Code and successfully
accomplished the harmony-classes-selector project of Harmony under the
mentoring of Regis. In the project, I came across JVMTI in the first time
and built an agent for the project. As a result, I became very interested in
Java runtime technology and I've learned and got to know more knowledge in
this area including Java class file format, instrumentation, JPDA and so on.

I believe these professional knowledge and my other knowledge in programming
and software architecture can help me to learn fast and handle the problem.

I'm 24 years old, living in Shanghai, China, studying in Fudan University.

Best wishes
Daniel Gong