harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Yu <junjie0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Add a new target for Harmony-Select in the build script
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:44:43 GMT
2010/4/9 Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com>

> On 2010-04-09 16:21, Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>>     I'd like to raise the topic of "Harmony-Select" again. Harmony-select,
>> as we discussed, is aimed to create a customized build without graphic
>> components. The select build will then be smaller in the footprint. It is
>> specially useful for the customer applications which does not require
>> awt/swing (as many j2ee apps, java DBs, and applications like eclipse,
>> Hadoop etc)
>>
>>     Thanks to Harmony modularization, it is quite easy to create this
>> select
>> build. And currently there is no special requirement on the source, we can
>> make a select build without forking a new branch. My plan is:
>> 1. add a new target in the \classlib\build.xml, say, build-select,
>> including
>> build-select-java, build-select-native and build-select-test
>> 2. build-select targets will operate like normal ones, just exclude
>> graphic
>> components:
>>  ACCESSIBILITY      APPLET              AWT
>>  IMAGEIO            ORB                 PRINT
>>  RMI                SOUND               SWING      X_MGT
>>

> If we are targeting to server side, why RMI and ORB are excluded? I hope
> what modules would be picked up could be configurable, user can composite
> JRE as he like. But it's OK for me to select fixed modules in first step.

I like the idea that modules can be selected by the users on demand. Right
now, it is a good start that we have an early driver of Harmony Select on
which we can innovate without restriction. And I would like to try it on
some server side applications, e.g. Hadoop. And will post the result once
there is any progress made.

--
Best Regards,
Jim, Jun Jie Yu