harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: zlib in drlvm
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:34:59 GMT

In message <20100321161815.772A8816018@nike.apache.org>, Mark Hindess writes:

> In message <3b3f27c61003210858qd0f0fd4lbc8065b0c23c8362@mail.gmail.com>,
> Nathan Beyer writes:
> >
> > While trying to perform a fresh build, zlib 1.2.3 wasn't downloading
> > and it looks like zlib.net has released 1.2.4. While trying to update
> > zlib, i noticed a few things:
> > * The pre-built binary is only used for Windows - i assume we're using
> > a shared zlib on other OSes, but do we keep the version controlled?
>
> I think the zlib api is pretty stable.  So I'm not overly concerned
> about version control.  However, I suspect it is moot since hyzlib
> is loaded first and almost certainly takes priority over the system
> version.  (Unless you set -Dhy.local.zlib=true to pick up the system
> version instead of hyzlib [unix only].)
>
> > * The pre-built binary is only used for x86 Windows - we're
> > downloading an 'x86_64' version from a JIRA attachment [1]. Shouldn't
> > we put this into SVN, like the other pre-built dependencies?
>
> We should find a way to remove it and use only hyzlib instead.
>
> > * Anyone know how the x86_64 binary was built?
>
> No.  I don't know enough about windows dll loading but perhaps it is
> overriden by hyzlib anyway?
>
> > -Nathan
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3196

In commit r939640, I fixed drlvm to use hyzlib on windows as the
download was broken again and there didn't seem to be a new equivalent.
Still need to:

  1) Remove depends.properties entries.
  2) Use hyzlib during link on unix (when hy.local.zlib=true is not set).
  3) Upgrade hyzlib in classlib to use zlib 1.2.5

Regards,
 Mark.