harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Braun" <tobias.bra...@gmx.de>
Subject [classlib][ASN1]
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:54:51 GMT
Hello,

I have found a limitation or bug to the X.680 specification.

I get an "org.apache.harmony.security.asn1.ASN1Exception: ASN.1 UTCTime:
wrong  format for DER, identifier at [182]"-Exception because the UTCTime
isn't 13 characters.

        if (length != ASN1UTCTime.UTC_HMS) {
           throw new ASN1Exception(
                  "ASN.1 UTCTime: wrong format for DER, identifier at ["
                           + tagOffset + ']');
         }

The format is YYMMDDhhmm(ss)z. In accordance with X.680 specifications
(http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.680-0207.pdf),
there are also other formats allowed.
For example there is no need to transceive the seconds if they are 00. But
then, the
UTCTime is only 11 characters long and a new ASN1Exception will be thrown
and no
connection can be established.
So is there a planned enhancement on this validation check?

best regards
Tobias Braun