harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [general] Open Source Jumpstart London 2010
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:35:50 GMT

Catherine Hope and I represented Apache Harmony at the above event on
Saturday.  The event was intended as a hands-on introduction to open
source for graduates.  There are some details at:

  http://www.graduatedevelopmentcommunity.co.uk/

and some comments by Ross Gardler (Apache VC for Community Development)
at:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201004.mbox/%3C4BCCBB5B.6000303@apache.org%3E

I had a very enjoyable (and exhausting) day working with some of the
students on Apache Harmony.  It is very difficult to make meaningful
progress in a single day (especially when you have such a large project
to work on) but the students did very well and we had three patches
contributed via JIRA by the end of the day[0].

I've heard mixed reactions about the day.  To me, it was not about
getting new committers for my project[1], but about getting the students
to understand a little about the typical processes and overcoming the
initial reluctance to make a contribution in public.  The idea being
that students might then feel happy to contribute to an open source
project for fun and more importantly to have something to put on their
CVs to distinguish themselves from others when looking for work.  I
think on that basis the day was a big success.  The feedback from
students has been very positive too.

We will almost certainly try to run a similar event again.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] I've still got some paperwork to sort out for these contributions.

[1] Of course, I'd be very pleased if they did continue to make
    contributions as they are certainly capable of doing so and there
    are plenty more bugs left to find.