harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Yang Lang <yangl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 04:39:39 GMT
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com>wrote:

> In message <260c43601003242028w58013a82haeed65a4e138bea0@mail.gmail.com>,
> Yang Lang writes:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is Lang Yang, a final year Software Engineering student
> > at University of Regina, Canada. I want to pick up task
> > HARMONY-6447<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6447>,
> > [classlib] [imageio] Implement missing functionality in imageio
> > module, as my Google Summer of Code project. According to Mark's
> > description, the task is to implement the missing spec'd functionality
> > and write unit tests to ensure the implementation behaves correctly
> > (Thanks Mark:)).
> >
> > The JAPI result shows there are totally 41 methods are not implemented
> > (I have already submitted a patch that has implemented 4 of the
> > methods). By look into the code, I found out that only few APIs have
> > unit test case. The implementations of some image format plug-ins are
> > also missing from the code (like BMP plug-in).
>
> Thank you for your interest and contribution.

I've committed your first patch so the JAPI results are already
> improving.  I've made a set for just the javax.imageio packages and kept
> a copy of the results from before you started contributing.  I'll update
> it periodically.  See:

Thank you. I feel more comfortable in this way since this is my first time
contribute to a big project like this. Especially when I don't have a really
good understanding for the architecture behind the library. It would be
great if you have a copy of original packages, so we can always roll back if
we need (Hope we will never need to do this :D )

I am thinking stop coding for a week or two and read through the whole
javax.imageio.packages code, and get familiar with all the existing methods
and techniques in order to have a good image of the lib. It would be really
helpful for me to build robust implementations.

>  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/imageio-japi/
>
> Looking at the sun50 and sun60 results shows that there are two new
> methods in java6 that are also missing:
>
>  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getReaderFileSuffixes()
>  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getWriterFileSuffixes()
>
> It would be good to implement those for the java6 branch too.

Yes, thanks for point out this. I will look into this.