harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Release process (was [result][vote]Declare r917296 as 6.0M1)
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:50:43 GMT
On 09/03/2010, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  In message <4B965407.8000609@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
>  >
>  > I appreciate sebb's review and comments.  It would have been good to
>  > hear them during the two week freeze leading up to the vote rather
>  > than after the vote was concluded :-)
>
>  This comment isn't entirely fair.

Thanks!

In all other TLPs that I follow, the process is to create a full
release candidate with hashes and sigs etc. as well as a release tag.

The whole bundle can then be reviewed as an item, and any discrepancies noted.
[For example - the source archive does not match the tag]
Blocking problems are fixed, and the process repeated with a new
release candidate and tag. Other problems may or may not be fixed.

When the release candidate passes, the artifacts can be released, and
the SVN tag is renamed as the release tag.

Obviously, if problems are noticed earlier then they can be reported
earlier, but it is expected that release candidates will fail from
time to time.

I'd just add that fixing AL issues may be a bit of a pain initially,
but should be a one-off.