harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [result] [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 22:24:00 GMT
On 06/03/2010, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  In message <25aac9fc1003060444j7b9b083fgdf5b2fb7b3dbfe6@mail.gmail.com>,
>
> sebb writes:
>  >
>  > On 06/03/2010, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  Thanks Sebb.
>  > >
>  > >  In message <25aac9fc1003051528k696407f1q198446e344cd1622@mail.gmail.com>,
>  > >
>  > > sebb writes:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > The NOTICE file is out of date:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Apache Harmony
>  > >  > Copyright 2006, 2009 The Apache Software Foundation.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Fixed in trunk source trees. Merges should fix the other instances.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  > There's a META-INF directory with N&L files in tools-src.jar but
not
>  > >  > in tools.jar
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Which tools.jar in which artifact is missing N&L files?  Looking at the
>  > >  jar tasks in working_jdktools/modules/{jre,jdk}tools/build.xml both the
>  > >  tools.jar and tools-src.jar tasks look to have the manifest elements I'd
>  > >  expect and looking at a sample of the artifacts the jdk/lib/tools.jar
>  > >  and jre/ lib/tools.jar files seem to have the N&L files.
>  >
>  > Sorry, my mistake, they do have META-INF directories and N&L files.
>  >
>  > However the following Manifest entry is wrong:
>  >
>  > Implementation-URL: http://incubator.apache.org/harmony
>  >
>  > jdtstup*.jar have the same obsolete entries in their Manifests:
>

> Fixed in r919839.
>

>  > Ideally all the META-INF entries should be added together at the
>  > beginning of the archive - at present the Manifest is first, and N&L
>  > are last. Definitely not a blocker.
>

> Aside from aesthetics, why?

So they appear first when listing the jar to draw attention to them.

See also:

http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new

>  > >  > The MANIFEST.MF files should ideally contain details for the
>  > >  > following headers:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Specification-Title
>  > >  > Specification-Version
>  > >  > Specification-Vendor
>  > >  > Implementation-Title
>  > >  > Implementation-Version
>  > >  > Implementation-Vendor
>  > >  > Implementation-Vendor-Id
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Not relevant for source jars:
>  > >  > X-Compile-Source-JDK
>  > >  > X-Compile-Target-JDK
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > These will take a bit more effort; A JIRA should probably be targeted to
>  > >  the next release to cover this task.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Only the Specification-Vendor and X-Compile headers are missing, so
>  > probably quite easy to add these.
>

> You'd think it would be quite easy, with only 120 <jar> tasks to
>  correct.

Oh - I'd assumed there was just one common routine to do this.

>  However, I'm not exactly sure what X-Compile headers would be
>  appropriate for modules like pack200.jar which have some code compiled
>  with 1.4/1.4 and some compiled with 1.5/1.5.  I'd welcome your opinion.

Never come across that before.

In a jar, I think the header is most useful for recording the target
JVM version. So if the jar can only be run using Java 1.5, use that.
If it can be run on both, then perhaps use both.

The header values are only used for documentation, so you could use:

1.5 (parts 1.4)

for source and target.

>  > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6462
>  >
>  > >  > There are a lot of source files that don't have AL headers, for
>  > >  > example:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > working_classlib/depends/libs/build/fetch-awt-depends.sh
>  > >
>  > > This one is trivial and can be removed now.  I wont do it right away
>  > >  because I think the README in the same directory also needs work too.
>

> I've removed the script but left the README to be addressed later.
>

>  > >  > working_classlib/doc/harmony.css
>  > >  > working_classlib/doc/hydoxygen.css
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > I'm not sure whether these are generated.  Certainly according to
>  > >  google, the hydoxygen.css comment "end styling for detailed member
>  > >  documentation" appears in non-ALv2 files, though some ALv2 files too.
>

> I'm still not sure about these.

Who created it? If it was created at the ASF, then it should have the AL header.
If not, then it probably needs to be mentioned in the N & L files
(perhaps it is already) and it would do no harm to add short comment
in the file itself, not least to avoid questions later.

>  > >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/java/sql/SQLClientInfoExceptionTest.java
>  > >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/StatementEventTest.java
>  > >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockNClob.java
>  > >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockRowId.java
>  > >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockSQLXML.java
>

> Fixed in r919849.
>

>  > >  > working_vm/vm/tests/ncai/funcs/**
>

> Fixed in r919853 subject to merging from trunk.
>

>  > > Will have to have a closer look at these but I suspect most are just
>  > >  missing headers.
>  >
>  > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6463 - JIRA with the
>  > full list attached.
>

> Aside: Quite a few of the files RAT complains about are empty except for
>  whitespace.  Perhaps RAT should skip these?

Yes, it should. RAT has some false positives.