harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:56:30 GMT

In message <260c43601003242028w58013a82haeed65a4e138bea0@mail.gmail.com>,
Yang Lang writes:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Lang Yang, a final year Software Engineering student
> at University of Regina, Canada. I want to pick up task
> HARMONY-6447<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6447>,
> [classlib] [imageio] Implement missing functionality in imageio
> module, as my Google Summer of Code project. According to Mark's
> description, the task is to implement the missing spec'd functionality
> and write unit tests to ensure the implementation behaves correctly
> (Thanks Mark:)).
>
> The JAPI result shows there are totally 41 methods are not implemented
> (I have already submitted a patch that has implemented 4 of the
> methods). By look into the code, I found out that only few APIs have
> unit test case. The implementations of some image format plug-ins are
> also missing from the code (like BMP plug-in).

Thank you for your interest and contribution.

I've committed your first patch so the JAPI results are already
improving.  I've made a set for just the javax.imageio packages and kept
a copy of the results from before you started contributing.  I'll update
it periodically.  See:

  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/imageio-japi/

Looking at the sun50 and sun60 results shows that there are two new
methods in java6 that are also missing:

  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getReaderFileSuffixes()
  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getWriterFileSuffixes()

It would be good to implement those for the java6 branch too.

> My personal expectation for this task will be implementing and test
> the issues I have addressed above. It seems there is no mentor
> assigned to this task yet. I wonder if anyone wants to be my mentor on
> this task.

Any volunteers?

Regards,
 Mark.