harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: zlib in drlvm
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:17:23 GMT

In message <3b3f27c61003210858qd0f0fd4lbc8065b0c23c8362@mail.gmail.com>,
Nathan Beyer writes:

> While trying to perform a fresh build, zlib 1.2.3 wasn't downloading
> and it looks like zlib.net has released 1.2.4. While trying to update
> zlib, i noticed a few things:
> * The pre-built binary is only used for Windows - i assume we're using
> a shared zlib on other OSes, but do we keep the version controlled?

I think the zlib api is pretty stable.  So I'm not overly concerned
about version control.  However, I suspect it is moot since hyzlib
is loaded first and almost certainly takes priority over the system
version.  (Unless you set -Dhy.local.zlib=true to pick up the system
version instead of hyzlib [unix only].)

> * The pre-built binary is only used for x86 Windows - we're
> downloading an 'x86_64' version from a JIRA attachment [1]. Shouldn't
> we put this into SVN, like the other pre-built dependencies?

We should find a way to remove it and use only hyzlib instead.

> * Anyone know how the x86_64 binary was built?

No.  I don't know enough about windows dll loading but perhaps it is
overriden by hyzlib anyway?

> -Nathan

Regards,
 Mark