harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [result] [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:16:42 GMT

In message <25aac9fc1003061424k3b553399pb22caa75b6d87487@mail.gmail.com>,
sebb writes:

> On 06/03/2010, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In message <25aac9fc1003060444j7b9b083fgdf5b2fb7b3dbfe6@mail.gmail.com>,
> > sebb writes:

Merges done so these should be fixed.

> > > Sorry, my mistake, they do have META-INF directories and N&L
> > > files.
> > >
> > > However the following Manifest entry is wrong:
> > >
> > > Implementation-URL: http://incubator.apache.org/harmony
> > >
> > > jdtstup*.jar have the same obsolete entries in their Manifests:
> >
> > Fixed in r919839.
> >
> > > Ideally all the META-INF entries should be added together at the
> > > beginning of the archive - at present the Manifest is first, and N&L
> > > are last. Definitely not a blocker.
> >
> > Aside from aesthetics, why?
>
> So they appear first when listing the jar to draw attention to them.
>
> See also:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new

Fair enough.  Fixed.

> > > Only the Specification-Vendor and X-Compile headers are missing, so
> > > probably quite easy to add these.
> >
> > You'd think it would be quite easy, with only 120 <jar> tasks to
> > correct.
>
> Oh - I'd assumed there was just one common routine to do this.

I've fixed most of these except Specification-Vendor.  I'll do this
before the 5.0M14/6.0M2 releases.

> > However, I'm not exactly sure what X-Compile headers would be
> > appropriate for modules like pack200.jar which have some code compiled
> > with 1.4/1.4 and some compiled with 1.5/1.5.  I'd welcome your opinion.
>
> Never come across that before.
>
> In a jar, I think the header is most useful for recording the target
> JVM version. So if the jar can only be run using Java 1.5, use that.
> If it can be run on both, then perhaps use both.
>
> The header values are only used for documentation, so you could use:
>
> 1.5 (parts 1.4)
>
> for source and target.

Done.  Thanks.

> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6462

I'll leave this open until I've fixed the Specification-Vendor entries.

> > I've removed the script but left the README to be addressed later.

> > I'm still not sure about these.
>
> Who created it? If it was created at the ASF, then it should have the
> AL header.  If not, then it probably needs to be mentioned in the N &
> L files (perhaps it is already) and it would do no harm to add short
> comment in the file itself, not least to avoid questions later.

Sorry, I meant I wasn't sure about them because I'd not looked at the
history rather than because I wasn't sure what to do.  I have now and
they are fixed.

> > Fixed in r919849.

> > Fixed in r919853 subject to merging from trunk.

> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6463 - JIRA with the
> > > full list attached.

> > Aside: Quite a few of the files RAT complains about are empty except
> > for whitespace.  Perhaps RAT should skip these?
>
> Yes, it should. RAT has some false positives.
>
> > I'll get to the rest when I get more time.

I've done most of these now.

Can you take a look at the latest artifacts at:

  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/sebb/

Do these look better?

> > > IMO having so many missing AL headers is a blocker.
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed you thought that or you
> > wouldn't have raised these issues on a [vote] thread. ;-)
> >
> > I was really soliciting the opinions of the others who voted and
> > Harmony PMC members.

> > ?

I'd still *really* like the opinions of the others who voted and Harmony
PMC members.  Do you think this should block the already-voted-for
release?

I think stopping an already-voted-for release sets a bad precedent
Testing should happen before/during the vote and if more time is
required then people should ask (as Tim did).  However, also I want to
make a good release.

I will *not* be making this decision one way or another until I get some
indication of the opinions of others who voted.

Regards,
 Mark.