harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [result] [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 21:27:09 GMT

In message <25aac9fc1003060444j7b9b083fgdf5b2fb7b3dbfe6@mail.gmail.com>,
sebb writes:

> On 06/03/2010, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Thanks Sebb.
> >
> >  In message <25aac9fc1003051528k696407f1q198446e344cd1622@mail.gmail.com>,
> >
> > sebb writes:
> >  >
> >  > The NOTICE file is out of date:
> >  >
> >  > Apache Harmony
> >  > Copyright 2006, 2009 The Apache Software Foundation.
> >

> > Fixed in trunk source trees. Merges should fix the other instances.
> >

> >  > There's a META-INF directory with N&L files in tools-src.jar but not
> >  > in tools.jar
> >

> > Which tools.jar in which artifact is missing N&L files?  Looking at the
> >  jar tasks in working_jdktools/modules/{jre,jdk}tools/build.xml both the
> >  tools.jar and tools-src.jar tasks look to have the manifest elements I'd
> >  expect and looking at a sample of the artifacts the jdk/lib/tools.jar
> >  and jre/ lib/tools.jar files seem to have the N&L files.
>
> Sorry, my mistake, they do have META-INF directories and N&L files.
>
> However the following Manifest entry is wrong:
>
> Implementation-URL: http://incubator.apache.org/harmony
>
> jdtstup*.jar have the same obsolete entries in their Manifests:

Fixed in r919839.

> Ideally all the META-INF entries should be added together at the
> beginning of the archive - at present the Manifest is first, and N&L
> are last. Definitely not a blocker.

Aside from aesthetics, why?

> >  > The MANIFEST.MF files should ideally contain details for the
> >  > following headers:
> >  >
> >  > Specification-Title
> >  > Specification-Version
> >  > Specification-Vendor
> >  > Implementation-Title
> >  > Implementation-Version
> >  > Implementation-Vendor
> >  > Implementation-Vendor-Id
> >  >
> >  > Not relevant for source jars:
> >  > X-Compile-Source-JDK
> >  > X-Compile-Target-JDK
> >

> > These will take a bit more effort; A JIRA should probably be targeted to
> >  the next release to cover this task.
> >

> Only the Specification-Vendor and X-Compile headers are missing, so
> probably quite easy to add these.

You'd think it would be quite easy, with only 120 <jar> tasks to
correct.  However, I'm not exactly sure what X-Compile headers would be
appropriate for modules like pack200.jar which have some code compiled
with 1.4/1.4 and some compiled with 1.5/1.5.  I'd welcome your opinion.

> >  > There are a lot of source files that don't have AL headers, for
> >  > example:
> >  >
> >  > working_classlib/depends/libs/build/fetch-awt-depends.sh
> >
> > This one is trivial and can be removed now.  I wont do it right away
> >  because I think the README in the same directory also needs work too.

I've removed the script but left the README to be addressed later.

> >  > working_classlib/doc/harmony.css
> >  > working_classlib/doc/hydoxygen.css
> >

> > I'm not sure whether these are generated.  Certainly according to
> >  google, the hydoxygen.css comment "end styling for detailed member
> >  documentation" appears in non-ALv2 files, though some ALv2 files too.

I'm still not sure about these.

> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/java/sql/SQLClientInfoExceptionTest.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/StatementEventTest.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockNClob.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockRowId.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockSQLXML.java

Fixed in r919849.

> >  > working_vm/vm/tests/ncai/funcs/**

Fixed in r919853 subject to merging from trunk.

> > Will have to have a closer look at these but I suspect most are just
> >  missing headers.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6463 - JIRA with the
> full list attached.

Aside: Quite a few of the files RAT complains about are empty except for
whitespace.  Perhaps RAT should skip these?

I'll get to the rest when I get more time.

> >  > Perhaps some of these are not ASF source, but it looks like many
> >  > of them are.
> >

> > I'm assuming most of these shouldn't stop the already-voted-for
> >  releases.
>
> IMO having so many missing AL headers is a blocker.

Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed you thought that or you
wouldn't have raised these issues on a [vote] thread. ;-)

I was really soliciting the opinions of the others who voted and Harmony
PMC members.

> >  The NOTICE year is rather annoying though.  What do other
> >  people think?

?

Regards,
 Mark.