harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Summer of Code 2010
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:01:13 GMT
Mark,
After two GSoC years I don't really think any formal rule would work.

My rules follow:
1. The student should be able to work by herself and motivate himself.
Pressure from a mentor doesn't work anyway.
2. The mentor's task should be very easy (still, it should require coding).
3. Skype interview is a nice thing.

Signing ACQ/ICLA are minor issue compared to the fact that majority of
students don't even know that cut&paste should not be used in their
code. There is a big gap between signing and understanding, especially
if you hardly understand English.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In message <201001270826.o0R8Qq0A014362@d06av03.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
> Mark Hindess writes:
>>
>> In message <94d710af1001261726o9085b91jcef0d7dd95b2c1f6@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Sean Qiu writes:
>> >
>> > Have someone notice this? Seems that it is time to dicuss our
>> > potential proposals.
>>
>> Yes.  Indeed.  We should use the wiki again.
>>
>> I also think we should consider our selection criteria.  My experience
>> has been that:
>>
>> 1) there tends not to be much to distinguish proposals (once you've
>> excluded the rushed/poor proposals choosing between the rest is
>> difficult)
>>
>> 2) there hasn't been as much interaction as I would like (I'd go as
>> far as suggesting that a number of failed projects would have passed
>> if they had done better at this)
>>
>> I'd like to try to tackle this by only considering proposals from
>> individuals that have already had a patch integrated.
>
> I forgot to mention that I think we should also only consider proposals
> from individuals that have already filed an ACQ/ICLA.
>
>> What do others think?  (I'm particularly interested to know what past
>> applicants think.)
>
> I'd still like to know what others thing about my added restrictions?
> Of course, it doesn't really matter if people disagree with me since
> as a mentor I can impose conditions on the types of students I want
> to mentor but if possible I'd like to get broad agreement to make it
> consistent across all the Harmony proposed projects.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://www.telecom-express.ru/