harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [performance] The DaCapo benchmark suite
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:25:53 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> I decided to have a play with the dacapo-9.12-bach benchmark suite.
> I've appended some preliminary results below.
>
> I attempted to run all the benchmarks 10 times on the linux/x86_64
> milestone releases.  For this run I used:
>
>   java -Xms128M -Xmx1024M -showversion -jar $DACAPO_JAR $BENCHMARK
>
> That is, I used the default arguments to dacapo.

Another statistic that might be of particular interest is to time the
nth iteration of the benchmark (eg with the dacapo argument "-n 3" or
"-n 10").  The performance of the first iteration includes a large
contribution from the compiler - later iterations more directly compare
the generated code.

If you do time later iterations, beware that some benchmarks on some
JVMs are performance-unstable - there can be performance fluctuations
between subsequent runs, and the best strategy might be to run 20
iterations, take the best time of the last 10 iterations, and report the
mean of 10 invocations.

I'd be very interested (as a member of the dacapo group) if you see
performance instability with drlvm.

Robin