harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r910980 - /harmony/enhanced/classlib/branches/java6/modules/luni/src/main/java/java/util/TreeMap.java
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:25:32 GMT

In message <a43fbc6a1002171030p15b49041pee64ed782ad56c67@mail.gmail.com>,
Jesse Wilson writes:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Mark Hindess
> <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have solid evidence that this change is wrong... it breaks Harmony
> > tests that pass on the RI.  I've no solid evidence that this change
> > is required.  So my inclination is not to put the check back.
>
> That's curious, but I guess I haven't looked into the navigable stuff
> that's new in 1.6.
>
> > A null check may be required but I'm not convinced this is the right
> > place for it.  The toComparable method is just a trivial helper
> > function that is clearly being used (probably quite reasonably) in a
> > context that doesn't require a null check.
>
> I think toComparable() is the right place. TreeMaps operates in two
> different modes:
>
>    - *With a comparator.* In this mode objects don't need to be comparable.
>    Null is permitted, because comparators can decide where null fits in the
>    total ordering.

>    - *Without a comparator.* In this mode everything must be comparable.
>    Null is not comparable and must be forbidden.

That was my understanding too but I'm assuming it is not that simple.  I
suppose the other option is that toComparable is being called when it
should not be.

> > Sorry, I've not got time to investigate this further right now
> > but rest assured we will get to the bottom of it and fix it
> > correctly. Raise a JIRA if you want to make sure it doesn't get
> > forgotten.
>
> Sounds good.

I've reopened (but removed the must-fix-for-6.0M1 status) the JIRA at:

to track this issue.

> In general I don't think Harmony developers should submit changes when
> they don't have time to investigate the problems that result from
> them. Ie. if a change is controversial, the burden should be on the
> submitter!

Agreed.  In this case, I'm a little curious and keen to improve our
test coverage so I am prepared to invest some time on it.

Regards,
 Mark.