harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: About the newest version of lockfree ReferenceQueue
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:31:04 GMT

In message <70c070d81002091921w43f62f6qc3d77f48db650c6a@mail.gmail.com>,
James Gan writes:

> Dear all,
>
> My personal experience of using this new ReferenceQueue is great. Now
> one end of the queue is lock-free. But another end is protected by
> lock. I'll like to know your comments about the new design. Thanks!
>
> Here is the patch:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12424562/rfq.patch

James,

I tried to take a look at this patch (with a view to running some
benchmarks) but:

  1) The patch seems to be changing the package names from java.lang.ref
     to java.lang.  I've no idea why but it would certainly make
     the result unusable.

  2) The patch seems to be against a version of these classes prior
     to "r824035 | hindessm | 2009-10-11 08:03:04" when I removed
     the CVS Revision keywords.  It would be useful to have a patch
     against the current version.

I tried jumping through some hoops to get it to apply:

  mkdir -p /tmp/HARMONY-6344/java/lang
  cp working_vm/vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc/java/lang/ref/Ref*.java \
     /tmp/HARMONY-6344/java/lang
  cd /tmp/HARMONY-6344
  patch -p1 <rfq.patch

but it still fails to apply correctly to either file.  I'd like to try
to help progress this but I'm afraid I don't have time to figure out
how you intend your patch to be used.

To create a clean patch, please try:

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/trunk
  ant populate-src
  # do whatever you need to do to apply your changes
  ant build test # to check that it works
  svn diff >rfq.patch
  # attach new patch to JIRA.
  svn st | grep '^\?' # check for any new files
  # attach new files if necessary

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,
 Mark.