harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Summer of Code 2010
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:22:31 GMT

In message <201001270826.o0R8Qq0A014362@d06av03.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
Mark Hindess writes:

> In message <94d710af1001261726o9085b91jcef0d7dd95b2c1f6@mail.gmail.com>,
> Sean Qiu writes:
> >
> > Have someone notice this? Seems that it is time to dicuss our
> > potential proposals.
>
> Yes.  Indeed.  We should use the wiki again.
>
> I also think we should consider our selection criteria.  My experience
> has been that:
>
> 1) there tends not to be much to distinguish proposals (once you've
> excluded the rushed/poor proposals choosing between the rest is
> difficult)
>
> 2) there hasn't been as much interaction as I would like (I'd go as
> far as suggesting that a number of failed projects would have passed
> if they had done better at this)
>
> I'd like to try to tackle this by only considering proposals from
> individuals that have already had a patch integrated.

I forgot to mention that I think we should also only consider proposals
from individuals that have already filed an ACQ/ICLA.

> What do others think?  (I'm particularly interested to know what past
> applicants think.)

I'd still like to know what others thing about my added restrictions?
Of course, it doesn't really matter if people disagree with me since
as a mentor I can impose conditions on the types of students I want
to mentor but if possible I'd like to get broad agreement to make it
consistent across all the Harmony proposed projects.

Regards,
 Mark.