harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony's CopyOnWriteArrayList
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:25:03 GMT
On 21/Jan/2010 03:19, Nathan Beyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Jesse Wilson <jessewilson@google.com> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> With commit  <goog_1264006155813>901123<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=901123>you
>> switched our CopyOnWriteArrayList from the JSR166 implementation to
>> Harmony's implementation. Could you give me some quick insight on the
>> tradeoffs here? If our implementation is indeed better, we should try to
>> push our improvements upstream.
>
> I don't think it's a question of better or worse. Unlike most of the
> JSR166 code, the CopyOnWriteArrayList isn't marked as public domain
> and is actually under a copyright assigned to Sun.

and to be clear, according to the source file header, the JSR166 version
is "Adapted and released, under explicit permission, from JDK
ArrayList.java"

I don't know what explicit permissions were given to the JSR166 group
for their use of that code, so it may be just fine for us to use anyway
in this context.  That said, given that we received the contribution of
an ALv2 equivalent, we considered it prudent to use that instead.

Regards,
Tim