harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][concurrent] CopyOnWriteArrayList
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:27:23 GMT
As you probably know, our concurrency code is a copy of the code in Doug
Lea's JSR166 repository.  You may also recall that the JSR166 version of
CopyOnWriteArrayList [1] contains an unpalatable Sun copyright notice,
so we created a Harmony version of this class as a replacement [2].

Unfortunately, when we refreshed the implementation from Doug's
repository back in July 2009 [3,4] the Harmony version was overwritten
with the JSR166 version containing the original copyright statement.

The remedy is to restore the Harmony version [5].  Of course we need to
also check that it implements the right behavior of the refreshed code etc.

Since we are currently distributing the original JSR166 version in our
latest 5.0 M12 download, I propose that we now also produce a 5.0M12a
containing the replacement file.

Although this file has been in our builds since last July, we should not
wait until the next scheduled Harmony milestone.  So, the 5.0M12a build
will be a minimal change, derived by creating a tag based on 5.0M12
(r885602) and fixing this one file.  That means we can have a shorter
release cycle with reduced testing etc. and replace M12 with M12a.

Comments and questions welcome.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/CopyOnWriteArrayList.java?view=log
[4] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=794678