harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony vm as a lib
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:13:35 GMT
On 2010-01-02 13:42, Tim Prepscius wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I write to give a small update and ask a couple questions.
>
> The update is: I'm still getting everything static-ified.  It seems
> when I enabled the missing kernel + natives, those depended on other
> natives which depended on other natives which depended on other
> natives and jars etc etc.  It seems I must include pretty much every
> library just to get past startup.
>
> I'm now up to "Java_java_io_FileDescriptor_oneTimeInitialization"
> HARMONY_CACHE_SET is failing, not sure why, maybe I need to call some
> other initialization method somewhere.

It requires hyluni.dll from classlib.

> So as I'm statically linking libraries as I'm including more and more
> dependencies, the executable size keeps on growing.
>
> Here are my current two questions:
>

> 1.  Before java initialization, which means after "startup code" has
> run, but before I call JNI_CreateJavaVM, process explorer is reporting
> that the memory used is already ~5 megabytes.
>
> After initialization (well at the point where it crashes now) process
> explorer is reporting that the program is taking ~33 megabytes.
>
> So my question is:  What is the minimum memory foot print of this java
> executable?  Anyone know?  Meaning post initialization, pre execute
> code.

I think the minimum memory foot print of executable java not only include JVM
itself but also some classes needed by JVM when starting. Even to run a
"HelloWorld" program, hundreds of classes will be loaded and also native dlls
required by them, will you also static link them together?

--
Best Regards,
Regis.