harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Wilson <jessewil...@google.com>
Subject Re: Doubting exception priority compatibility
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:20:44 GMT
For better or for worse, Dalvik was changed long ago to ignore exception
priorities. We get exception messages for NPEs and save branches. The full
set of deltas are here:

http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=multiple+errors+lang:java+package:git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/dalvik.git

2009/11/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>

> I don't argue changing exception order for a particular case if the
> change improves code simplicity and gives performance benefit on
> important real load, e.g. the change improved Eclipse startup time by
> 4%.

I think the primary difference in our thinking is how much we value
exception priority consistency. I don't believe it has any value and
therefore we're imposing an unnecessary constraint on our code. Does anyone
have a real world example, (perhaps a bugreport) demonstrating where
exception priority incompatibility has caused grief?