harmony-dev mailing list archives

From enh <...@google.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] poop (was Re: [classlib] BufferedReader and FileInputStream.available())
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:41:57 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 05:13, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/Nov/2009 06:14, enh wrote:
>> Is noone concerned about pooping this ebcdic cruft all over the place?
>> Shouldn't it be factored out into an isNewline method somewhere?
>
> Where are they all?  A grep of the code, which admittedly is likely to
> miss some cases shows the following (not counting test, native, and
> generated code)
>
> 0x15
>
> luni/src/main/java/java/io/PrintStream.java

i notice the javadoc's wrong there. it should say "newline", not '\n'.

there are two reasons i'd like to see ebcdic changes clearly signaled:

1. i was worried about the *opposite* case, where we have '\n' but
mean "newline".

2. i think that there are plenty of people out there who really don't
care about ebcdic, and if they could turn it off in one single place,
probably would.

 --elliott